Sunday, October 25, 2009

Are you a little bit Christian...a whole lot Christian...what are you?

Last evening, I had the pleasure of meeting a young lady that only God could have placed in my path. Through a series of small happenings, she and I had a conversation that only God could have orchestrated. She is 22 years old, and she was born with a chromosomal deformity. (If you're reading this, and I've botched it, dear one, please forgive me.) I wouldn't even mention this, but her mother explained to me that because of this, she literally is the only one in the world with this difference in her chromosomes. The only one in the world. Wow! And I met her.

So, we were sitting at the table, and everyone else was in a different section of the house. We started talking about different things: shopping, which we both agreed we don't like to do, past stories from her life, etc. I mentioned something to her that led her to say to me, "So you're a Christian?" I replied with, "Yes, I'm a Christian." She kept on. So how much Christian are you? A little bit, just some, or a whole Christian?" Ummmmm...I literally sat there and pondered the most reasonable and truthful response for a couple of seconds while she stared at me, waiting for my reply. I finally responded with..."Well, I would love to say I'm totally devoted to Christ, but I know that there are parts of me that aren't." There. It was said. It was out in the open. What parts are not totally devoted? I don't know. I will certainly be praying about it, and asking the Holy Spirit to take all of me. I once read, "Don't ask how much of the Holy Spirit you have, Ask how much of the you the Holy Spirit has." So today, once again, I pray that I would be totally surrendered to anything God places in front of me. That I would obey out of Christ's love for me. Not because I'm obligated to do so, but because I want to. Because I want to follow Him more than I want to follow anyone else.

Thank you, Lord for this sweet girl you've placed in my path. I pray that you would cover her with your love and mercy and show her that you are the only one worth following. May both of us live a life completely devoted to you. Amen