Wednesday, September 23, 2009

3 Months, but who's counting?

Ha, Ha, Ha! For anyone who's never adopted or in the process of adopting, you may not get the humor in the title. For those of you in the process, I'm sure you totally get it. Counting seems to be my middle name these days. Prior to adopting, I didn't know what day it was most days. Heck, I don't even wear a watch. Now, I can't wait for the 23rd of the month to roll around to say we've been waiting another month. A funny thing happened yesterday. I was out of school Monday and part of Tuesday with my two kiddos, as they were sick. When I returned to work yesterday, my first graders insisted upon seeing the pictures of the babies. They thought I had actually gone to Africa, gotten the babies, and promptly returned to work. After explaining how no, my kids were sick, it would take a long time to get to Africa and back, etc., etc. etc., one of my students said, "Ohhhhh right, Mrs. L, the babies are still in your belly." Oh boy!!! So, I thought we had it all cleared up, and about 10 minutes later, one of my little girls raised her hand and said, "So, Mrs. L. I want to see the pictures." What pictures, A. "You know, the pictures of you in Africa." I didn't go to Africa, A., remember? We just talked about that. Remember our whole conversation? "Well, I just want to see the pictures of wherever you were." I was at home. In (hometown). "Yeah, wherever, I just want to see the pictures." Oh geez. So, the kids again told me how they can't wait to see the babies and couldn't I just go get them. Never have I thought they were more wise. Only if it were that easy.