Friday, December 17, 2010

The Sanctifying Work of God

The words roll in my mind as if on a ferris wheel, going round and round, each having their separate seat, yet they are intertwined like children on a Twister mat. How do they fit together, Lord?

The Words~Sanctification, Purify, Refine, Holy...

How do they work in the life of a believer? Who is the worker? Who is the receiver?

I prayed to you Lord, that for my whole life, you will take me more deeply into the gospel. You are faithful.

~~~~~~~~~~~


Sanctification-such a large word, one I've not heard often over the last decade, even in christian circles. What are the intricacies of it?

Sanctification: to cleanse or set apart for sacred use; to declare or make holy
(def. from NIV bible)

Sanctify them by the truth, Lord. Your word is truth. -John 17:17
So, I am sanctified by your truth, your word.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. -Hebrews 4:12
Is this why you want me to love your word, to soak in your word, to pray your word, to speak your word, to write your word, to teach your word to my children?

Jesus, you said to Paul, "I will rescue you from your own people and from the gentiles. I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness into light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me. -Acts 26:17-18
I am sanctified by my faith in you, Jesus-that is, my complete trust that you are who you say you are, you have done what you say you have done, and will do what you say you will do.

You say, Lord, in 1 Cor. 7 that an "unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

What about two believing spouses? Are we sanctified through each other? Do we need to be sanctified through each other? Are we a stronger unit because we each believe you are who you say your are and will do what you say you will do?

Can circumstances sanctify? I don't know that they can without the working of the Holy Spirit, the reading and hearing of the word of Truth, faith in you, the marriage covenant of a husband and wife.

Ahh, so many questions I have for you, Lord. And so it is, that today you've stopped my mind on the ferris wheel seat of sanctification and allowed me to peer more deeply into who you are and in this seeing more clearly who I am in you. Teach me, Lord. Search my heart and correct my thinking. Take me deeper into your gospel. I ask this in the name of Jesus, Amen.

And even now, Lord, as I ponder a title for this piece of ponderings, I understand more clearly that sanctification is solely from You. Thank you, Lord. Thank you for your amazing grace.